Have you ever wished that you could trade your kid in for a new one?
Or maybe just wondered what it would be like if you understood them a little better.
Dreamt about a pill you could give them that would change that attitude.
Well I had.
B3 was always a mystery to me. I couldn't figure out how to help him. He was so distacted all the time but was a good boy who didn't distrupt others. Many nights were spent in silent cold wars ....which i think were better then the yelling brawls that also occured.
Homework, spelling cleaning his room, reading plaques in a museum or zoo. We never knew when our patience would break or what would be the trigger. How could he literally sit for hours and build a base from lego yet never complete a task he deemed boring without constant supervision.
He was also as frustrated by these things as we were. I cried many times from guilt, from anger and frustration. I prayed always asking for the answer. What was i doing wrong?
Then we met Mrs. Yule an educational consultant for our region. She took a real interest in B3. She wanted him to succeed. She didn't stop checking in. I feel it was her persistance that made the difference for B3. After a year of trying all the stratedgeies that anyone could think of. We finally went to see a Ped. Doc. who also works for the Outreach program in our area. After speaking with us for a few minutes she was describing B3 to us. She diagnosed him with passive ADD and he was given some medication.
This happened almost a year ago now but I am still grateful and in awe of what this little pill has done for my son. When homework time rolls around instead of tears or anger or even difiance this is what I get to see.
Look at the consentration. I may not have gotten a new boy but I got a new outlook on the boy I have. I understand him better. He feels better about his abilities. Our relationship has grown and improved so much. I know medication isn't always the answer for every child, but it was for us.
The Lord has inspired men on this earth to create these medications. They were the answer to my prays. I am glad so that at night I get to see B3 like this.
It makes my heart smile.


I'm sure it makes you so happy to "figure" him out. It's so hard on us parents when things just aren't right with our kids and it's so hard on the kids too. I'm so glad that everything is going well for ya.....and he's such a cutie....a heartbreaker in the making...
ReplyDelete