Friday, January 15, 2010

Drum Circle

Yesterday after Jay-Bear and Tay-Tay's choir practice something wonderful and fun happened. At the church where Strathmore Children's Choir practices they have a mosaic night. Although I really have no idea what that entails usually. Yesterday it was a drum circle. As we were leaving practice the men who run this Mosaic night were setting up. They asked the kids if they would like to sit down and play a djembe. If you have no idea what that is I have included a picture. You can also click the link to read more.







What followed was 30 minutes of the kids playing rhythms. They played loud than soft. Stopped playing, began playing. Played quickly followed by slowly. We sang along with the beats. A song that the kids learned last year SEE-A HUMBA. I don't know how it is actually spelled so you get the phonetic spelling * side note do find it funny that phonetic is so not spelled phonetically
Any way SEE -A-HUMBA went along perfectly with the beats. We are hoping the drums will come to our spring concert.
Thankfully I had my Blackberry to capture a few shots of this unique opportunity. The quality is shoddy but I am grateful I have a record.

Jay-Bear wasn't to sure about the whole thing so it took him awhile to warm up to the idea.

So the lights were already off when he finally sat down. So the picture is even worse quality. Isn't that cool. Don't you wish you kids were in Choir?







2 comments:

  1. Absolutely looks awesome !!
    Hope you dont mind me coming on your blog...even became a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish I didn't have to run off to teach piano -- would have loved to have stayed! :-) Hopefully we can do something again with them soon!
    Hetty

    ReplyDelete