Saturday, April 10, 2010

Whiteout

I found myself out in the storm we had Thursday night.

I ran out quickly to go pick-up some friends whose car had died on their way home. As it turns out I left in too much of a hurry. I thought I knew where they were.....but i didn't.
After calling them once again ask where they were exactly, the storm started to really blow in. I couldn't see road signs so I ended up turning off of the main highway much too soon i was on country back roads and i couldn't see anything. I said a little prayer that went something like this
Faith parted the red sea I know my faith can part this storm. ......... I sat waiting for this to happen............It didn't so i figured alright I'm gonna just move faith precedes the miracle right.
The storm didn't let up but a small pocket of sight opened around me and i could see far enough that I knew I was on the road which was better than not seeing the hood of my own car.
  I called my friends and they tried to help guide my with their GPS which is quite the task when you get directions like turn west and you have no clue which way that is 'cause you can't see any markers and long ago lost your direction and they can't tell you left or right 'cause they are really just guessing where you are from the VERY limited information that you can provide them with.
 Well I found the stranded family at about the midpoint of the storm ... I had already been on the roads for about 3 hours. Poor family to have a directionally challenged and a
think -I-know-it all for a rescuer like me. This young family had spent the same amount of time hoping that I was O.K. and entertaining their young children. Transferring car seats and people in 100km/hr winds was quite the challenge for The father but he insisted that he do it himself....which didn't get more than a cursory argument from me.
The storm let up as we were travelling home so it was slow going but i could see and relax into a comfortable conversation with the family. What an adventure. Faith and Prayer were my constant companions.
I had a small moment of fear when I thought I was going to spend the night alone out in the storm. It was quickly replaced with determination to make the best of it.

So Friday was spent purchasing a GPS playing around with it and then returning it for a different model this morning. I wanted to be able to put in co-ordinates just in case this ever happened again and the first one didn't have that capability. As an added benefit I can take the kids Geo-caching which is something I have wanted to do forever.
I wasted no time in this. B3 and I found our first cache on our way home from his haircut.....he loved it and is already asking when we can do it again.........
.........How Fun.
Well that is it for now. 
See ya

1 comment:

  1. I heard about you and your recusin ways!!! Good for you to be so willing to help out and thank goodness you all made it home safe- we too were in that storm and had to spend the night in Red Deer - it was crazy- have fun with your new toy and don't drive into any lakes (from the Office)!!!

    ReplyDelete